Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 5 Notes

Tomorrow will be 48 hours after freeing the queen in Hive A. I am planning to check the interior of both hives and am hoping to see a lot of drawn out comb, possibly even some eggs in Hive B as the queen has been free there longer. As the photos below show I made the new feeder for Hive B today, nothing fancy, but very functional. I am interested to see how fast the bees lap the syrup up and how quickly it needs to be re-filled. I can think of one drawback to this set up; the top is not very heavy and could easily blow off in a strong wind. It could be fastened to the hive body with buckles in the future but for now I will place some bricks on the top to keep it weighted down. Since the feeder tops don't need to be in place year round, only in times of dearth, I don't see the need to make a permanent solution to this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment