Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 9

Checked both hives at about 1pm today, this is what I found:
Hive A(with hive top feeder):
Seems more populous than hive B, Good comb production and centralized location of the main bee colony. They are storing nectar and a small amount of pollen. Are those eggs I see in the cells, hard to tell they are so small. I will check again in a day or two. Feeder is dry to I fed them more syrup
Hive B(quart jar feeder):
Definitely less populous and advanced than Hive A. The population seems to be centrally located and producing comb but not as rapidly as Hive A. Is it possibly that with a smaller feeding surface, i.e. the jar instead of a whole top feeder more of the colony needs to forage leaving less for colony construction. I don't know but it is a good question to ask at my next bee meeting. Other than the smaller size the colony seems healthy and productive. This hive actually seems to have stored more nectar than hive A.

No comments:

Post a Comment