Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From Sat. April 16th

So on Saturday we were set to have some pretty big storms and I got to thinking. With the new feeder model on top of Hive B it will be very easy for rain to get in around the quart jar I installed as a feeder so I needed to cover it up. I place a an empty shallow super on top of the new lid and then put the old telescoping hive lid on top of it to keep the rain out. Then I started thinking, "They are predicting 50 to 60 mph winds. Will that knock the hives over?". So I got a tie down strap and secured both hives to the pallet. Wouldn't help in a tornado but should at least keep the lids on and the hive upright in most weather conditions. I'm glad I did these things and below you will find pictures of my rig.
At roughly 3 pm we were in the middle of one of the windiest and hardest rains I have ever witnessed in NC. The bees and I seem to have borne the weather well and stayed mostly dry and safe. NC suffered from about 20 tornadoes that day and a lot of people, only 3 to 4 miles away did not fare so well. My heart goes out to everyone in the path of those storms.


No comments:

Post a Comment